Resource Rain Chattanooga: Low Impact Development (LID) Design Challenge is a design competition jointly sponsored by The City of Chattanooga, Chattanooga-Hamilton County Regional Planning Agency, green|spaces, The Lyndhurst Foundation, River City Company and Hamilton County Water Quality Program.
Over the last year, the City of Chattanooga developed new runoff reduction standards for development and redevelopment sites. The goal of this design challenge is to accelerate the adoption of LID and green infrastructure practices as the preferred method of managing stormwater, and complying with the new standards.
Green infrastructure is a suite of options for the developer and design professional’s toolbox. It has been proven to provide benefits in water quality, natural habitat and flood control, reduce long term maintenance costs of stormwater management, increase the quality of life and livability of communities, and can potentially lower the cost of development. This competition will advance innovative, cost-effective, sustainable site designs that can serve as inspiring, regional models for watershed protection and community revitalization.
Benefits of Participation
- Winning team receives a cash prize in the amount $10,000 to first place winners, $3,000 to second place winners and $1,000 for third place in each Design Challenge Site.
- One Finalist will be selected as People's Choice Winner with a prize of $2,000. After listening to all the presentations, the audience will select their favorite via a live voting system.
- Opportunity to present in the Final Awards Program before local developers and leaders.
- The Final Awards Program will be highly publicized and promoted.
- This event will bring together all contestants and other design, development and construction professionals as well as civic and governmental leaders throughout the area.
March 13, 2014 Kick-off meeting at green|spaces and registration opens.
Extended to April 21, 2014 Registration closes at 3:00 pm EST.
June 13, 2014 Competition Submittal entries must be received by 3:00 pm EST.
June 27, 2014 Technical finals judging complete and finalist are announced.
July 10, 2014 Final Awards Program
All competition information can be found at Chattanooga.gov/designchallenge
In addition, green|spaces, the City of Chattanooga & TNSA will begin to accept applications for the 2014 LID Awards, open to completed LID projects in the City of Chattanooga. Click here for an application.